Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pumped!

Yup. I am pumped. Last night was a very inspiration speaker at the RETA Banquet, and he pumped me up spiritually but that's not what I am talking about right now.

Last week I decided to stick to a "training" plan that I found online for the 5th 3rd River Bank Run (I still think of it as the Old Kent River Bank Run).

That training plan was the following:
         Tuesday:       4.5 Miles
         Wednesday:  3.0 Miles
          Thursday:    4.5 Miles
          Saturday:     8.0 Miles

Four workouts... that's fine - NOT a problem. Or so I thought.

In the past all my training plans have been every other day. That day of rest gives you much needed recovery. However, it does little to build or improve. It mostly maintains. On the other hand, I noticed having 3 days of running in a row really works you out. I had a real hard time on Wednesday running the 3 miles compared to the other two runs. I do think running with tired legs did give me the brain power to keep going.

The one other thing I have been trying to do is to make my last mile at least as fast as my first because for some reason my first mile is usually about 30 seconds to a minute faster than the rest. Well the training paid off today. Hopefully I can use this training to my advantage here in the near future. Check out todays workout:



Notice my time on mile 1, mile 2, and mile 8 (Start, worst, best). It was a grand an glorious finish. I was really hoping I was around a 10:20 /min mile and I blew that away. This is one thing I appreciate about running on a treadmill. There is a block in my head that tells me a fat man can't run that fast. But on a treadmill I can keep increasing the speed just to see how fast I can run. This week on Thursdays I managed to get the treadmill up to 8 mph for the last 1/10th of a mile.

I feel so pumped! I have never followed a training plan and after I started I figured out I was one week off on the plan so I will be repeating my same workouts this coming week.

So, if you have used a training plan, let me know how it went for you. If not, keep in tune. In about 8 weeks I run my first 25k and we will see how it goes.

Go Running,
     Otto

No comments:

Post a Comment